"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~ Charles W. Eliot
***
"This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" ~ Julia Child
***
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." ~ Louisa May Alcott

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

I Saw Three Ships

I Saw Three Ships

Last year, I bought this book by Elizabeth Goudge. It is a beautiful hardback edition with wonderful drawings throughout. This is a tradition now for me that I reread this story over the Christmas holidays.

Little Polly Flowerdew lives with her two aunts at Holly Cottage. It is Christmas eve and Polly tells her aunts that she wants to leave the front door unlocked to allow the three wise men to come in if they pass by. The door remains locked but Polly sneaks downstairs and opens a window. The adventure of the visitors that arrive set in motion some true Christmas miracles.

If you collect Christmas books, this is definitely one I would recommend for your library!

Happy reading!
Heidi

3 comments:

Trish said...

That sounds like a sweet story. Somehow the favourite Christmas books we had seemed to fall by the wayside now that my boys are bigger. Your post gives me an idea that I should bring them out along with the ornaments every December.

I hope you're having a wonderful holiday - All the best for 2013!

Elizabethd said...

Always my favourite author. I wonder if you might enjoy Eva Ibbotson, often referred to as a childrens writer, but several of her books are magically written.

Nancy said...

For sure that sounds like your kind of book. Glad you enjoy it since you are still a little girl at heart.
Love you, Mom