"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~ Charles W. Eliot
***
"This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" ~ Julia Child
***
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." ~ Louisa May Alcott

Monday, August 22, 2011

A tomato with heart!

Recently, they started selling this new tomato in our Lidl supermarket. After talking about varieties of tomatoes with some online friends in a homekeeping list I am in, I decided I was going to buy one of these tomatoes and give it a try. It is called "coeur de boeuf" or the heart tomato. But what it really is? A tomato with the old fashioned full flavor I remember from my Aunt Janey's neighbor, Mr. Weaver's garden. Since my own tomatoes have rotted due to our cool and rainy weather, this was a wonderful treat yesterday for our lunch.

I baked some ciabatta bread, took a little of the last fresh lettuce leaves from my garden along with my parsley and chives. I sliced up the lettuce then layered on the tomato slices with mozzarella cheese. Topped off with my chopped parsley and chives and a drizzle of olive oil, it made a wonderful lunch of very fresh and wholesome ingredients.

Sometimes, the most simple combinations that speak of a garden's bounty are the richest of tastes.

4 comments:

Elizabethd said...

You are right Heidi. This is the time to enjoy the lovely simple dishes from our gardens (or Lidl!)

Nancy said...

That looks sooooo yummy. I want one toooooooo.
Love you, Mom

Reginas Cottage said...

dear heidi,
that looks sooooooooooo good!!!! it makes my mouth watering.
have you a recipe of ciabatta bread?
have a wonderful evening,
love regina
reginassimplelife.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, my favorite sandwich and it looks so absolutely beautiful, Heidi. You are not only a fine cook but an artist as well.

Gayla