"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~ Charles W. Eliot
***
"This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" ~ Julia Child
***
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." ~ Louisa May Alcott

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Grilled tomatoes

We are big vegetable eaters in my house. While not vegetarians, we often have meals with no meat simply because we love all vegetables. Here is a wonderful and easy way to have tomatoes which can be eaten alone or as an accompaniment to a meat dish...

Grilled tomatoes
1 to 2 whole ripe tomatoes for each person
olive oil
dried garlic
salt and pepper
mixed herbs to taste
mature cheese or Parmasan cheese, grated

Wash the tomatoes and cut in half. Place cut side up in a shallow baking dish. I use a small quiche dish for this. Drizzle olive oil over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with milled dried garlic (optional) and salt and pepper. Now bring up to taste with a mixture of herbs. I used a pinch of tomato bruschetta mix which I can buy dried so this is optional. Often I make them without this and they are also very tasty. I then added some thyme, oregano and basil. Now sprinkle grated cheese over the tops of the tomatoes and place in a hot oven (200C/400F) for about 20 minutes. I switch to grill for a further 5 minutes. Do not place them too close under the grill or you will have to stay with them to watch they do not burn. Serve hot.

Bon appitit  or, as we say in Holland, eet smakelijk!
Heidi

4 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I add a touch of Balsamic vinegar too. Delicious!

Nancy said...

I am not sure I would like these. I love tomatoes, but I like them cooked in Macaroni and tomatoes. I love garden fresh tomatoes.
I would try them but not sure.
Love you, Mom

Heidi said...

I think I will try that tip next time I make them Barbara! It sounds really good to use the balsamic vinegar. Thanks!

Heidi

Reginas Cottage said...

dear heidi,
thanks for the wonderful recipe.it sounds easy and good!!!!
have a wonderful evening,
love regina