"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~ Charles W. Eliot
***
"This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" ~ Julia Child
***
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." ~ Louisa May Alcott

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Provence Cure for the Brokenhearted

Provence Cure for the Broken Hearted, The

I was really looking forward to reading this book. It is summer...okay, more like autumn here in Holland...so what better book to read than one about widow Heidi taking her son Abbot and niece Charlotte to the family home in the Provence for six weeks during summer. The house has had a fire and Heidi goes for her mother to start making decisions and renovating. What is not to love?

I was totally disappointed by my thinking the book was about the house. This was aided by reviews such as that from People magazine saying..."Fans of Under the Tuscan Sun will adore this impossibly romantic read.". I started this book thinking the house would be a main character in the book as in Under the Tuscan Sun, On Rue Tatin or The Olive Farm. Instead it took me until page 259 to forgive the book for being only about Heidi, Abbot, Charlotte and the French neighbors who live next to the house. I was anxiously awaiting some beautiful descriptions of the home but they did not come. Once I got past this, I started to get into the story of these broken hearts who were mending while in the south of France. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of simply romantic fiction. I need something there to pull me into the story.   I enjoyed reading The Summer Season as the gardening was a major part of the book to explain what I mean by something pulling me through the story. The Provence Cure for the Brokenhearted became a bit too long for me and parts too popular romance. I read reviews about this book in which people said it was too predictable and yes they were right. 

That being said, if you like romantic fiction, this would be a book you will enjoy. It was simply not the right book for me. However, I have tried two recipes from the end of the book and will be sharing one with you for my next blog post. It was delicious!

Happy reading!
Heidi

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be interested to see what I think, Heidi. I am not usually a fan of romantic fiction but maybe it will hit me just right.

Thanks for the honest review and will look forward to the upcoming discussion on this.

Good review!!!!

Babs in Alabama said...

thanks for the review, Heidi. We feel the same about romantic fiction, but got to read it for discussion ;(
Love the recipe of last post. I will have to try this. Made my mouth water, but too late to get ingredients for this evening.
hugs, babs

Elizabethd said...

I loved Under the Tuscan sun too, and revelled in the descriptions of houses and garden.
I dont know the one you are reading.

Nancy said...

Enough books on my read list, I think I will pass on this one.
Love you, Mom