"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~ Charles W. Eliot
***
"This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" ~ Julia Child
***
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." ~ Louisa May Alcott

Monday, August 13, 2012

Mr. Rosenblum's List

Mr. Rosenblum's List: Or Friendly Guidance for the Aspiring Englishman

Even the full title of this book becomes as endearing as the characters contained within its pages...Mr. Rosenblum's List or Friendly Guidance for the Aspiring Englishman by Natasha Solomons.

Jack and Sadie Rosenblum flee Nazi Germany for England. Jack strives in life to become a true Englishman creating a list of items that are to him true "Englishness". He becomes successful in business but to him, the English gentlemen are members of a golf club. After numerous rejections, Jack moves himself and Sadie off to a Dorset village to build his own. He buys a pretty thatched cottage with a large plot of land. The locals endearingly call him Mr. Rose-in-Bloom as he tries to become part of village life. Will he succeed to make his dreams a reality?

I would highly recommend this book. It pulls you in and you take Jack, Sadie and the villagers to heart.

Happy reading!
Heidi

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Well that does sound like a very cute book. I am now reading the first of the last set of three I put on my blog. This is an author I have not read before and I'm not sure I really like her writing style. Have to give it more of a chance.
Happy reading
Love Mom

Unknown said...

This sounds really good. I love anything English.

Jenny said...

This book sounds absolutely delightful Heidi. I too love anything English so I checked it out on my Nook and there it was but in the USA it is titled Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English. I can hardly wait to read this...maybe I'll even start it today since we are still under an excessive heat warning and thunderstorm and flood watch...here is a hug from CA. and I hope you are doing okay my friend.

Julie said...

Sounds a lovely read