"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~ Charles W. Eliot
***
"This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" ~ Julia Child
***
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." ~ Louisa May Alcott

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Forgotten vegetable...black kale or Tuscan cabbage

Each year at the end of summer, the black kale is harvested at an organic farm near Cranberry Cottage. We buy it once a year for a special treat of a forgotten vegetable. It is a type of kale with a delicious strong taste. I prepare it in a similar way as my regular stamppot with kale with a few changes...


Dutch stamppot with black kale
1 bunch of black kale leaves
about 12 small/medium potatoes
vegetable bouillon tablet
salt and freshly ground pepper
Optional: Dutch rookworst (smoked sausage)


Peel potatoes and place in a deep pan. Salt the potatoes and add a bouillon tablet covering the potatoes with hot water. Cut the stem from the middle of the black kale and slice up the leaves. Place on top of the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes.
Drain water and using a hand held potato masher, stamp your potatoes to a mash with the kale. Add a little knob of butter. I find I often do not need to add milk but do so if your mash is too dry. Serve with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper so you can omit adding any additional salt.

While the potatoes/kale are cooking, cook a Dutch smoked sausage or prepare any meat you wish to accompany your stamppot. This would even be tasty with simply bacon fried up and mixed in before serving.


To me, this has become a tradition for summer's end. It has the taste of those last summer days...

Bon appetit or eet smakelijk!
Heidi

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Okay trying one more time to comment.
This is a very weird looking vegetable. Most people would be afraid to try it I think. Not you though. hahahaha
I do love your stampot for sure.
Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I love the recipes you share..new ideas for me. I quit experimenting years ago and want to try new things now. I am having difficulty locating vegetable bouillon here in the states. Do you or any of your readers have a suggestion?

I'm still playing catch-up in blog land. Have a great weekend and please take care.

Anonymous said...

Heidi;

I have never tasted Kale so this would be an interesting recipe to try. You did a nice job presenting it in picture form.

I love your quote from Julia Child. I am this way....try new recipes as I get so tired of the same old things.

Miss you!!!
Gayla