"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~ Charles W. Eliot
***
"This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" ~ Julia Child
***
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." ~ Louisa May Alcott

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Bess's Log Cabin Quilt

Bess's Log Cabin Quilt

Another children's literature book and just a delightful one! This story by D. Anne Love tells the tale of a girl Bess who is alone with her mother in the west while her father is taking families on the Oregon Trail. Her father has not come back when expected and she anxiously awaits his return with her mother. Mother has come down with swamp fever and it falls to Bess to help nurse her back to health while fending off Indians and a man who comes to collect a loan to her father. Bess has only just learned from her mother how to make a quilt...a log cabin quilt. She decides to enter it into the town fair quilt contest to try and win the money needed to pay her father's loan and save the farm.

This is the second time I have read this sweet story of a little girl's courage and I can highly recommend it for its endearing characters.

Happy reading!
Heidi

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh Heidi....this book sounds really good. I love children's literature and I find myself rereading all of my favorites from time to time...Little House Books, The Secret Garden, Hans Brinker, Caddie Woodlawn, Pollyanna,Anne of Green Gables and Little Women just to name a few. I have never read this story but anything about a quilt and prairie life is sure to make me happy...grins....I just finished a wonderful, heartwarming story about a young girl named Alice and a family quilt. The title is The Tale of Alice's Quilt by Jennifer Blomgren. My Mom picked it up for me when she visited my favorite quilt shop up in Morro Bay ;) Happy reading my friend.....Hugs from CA.

Annie said...

This book seems wonderful and I like log cabin quilts ! Two good reasons to read it !

Unknown said...

I love these kinds of books. It sound delightful.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a wonderful book - two of my favorite things: quilts and fairs.