"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~ Charles W. Eliot
***
"This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" ~ Julia Child
***
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." ~ Louisa May Alcott

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

16 Lighthouse Road

16 Lighthouse Road: Cedar Cove, Book 1

Well my mother was right. I finally read the first of the Cedar Cove books and loved it. Debbie Macomber has created a memorable place full of heartwarming people.

16 Lighthouse Road is the home of Olivia Lockhart. She is a family court judge. When Cecilia and Ian Randall seek a divorce in her courtroom, she denies them the divorce feeling they have not tried hard enough to make their marriage work. Sitting in the courtroom is her mother Charlotte. A woman who's heart is in the right place and loves to share her opinion.

Justine is Olivia's daughter. She has a career and a boyFRIEND with the emphasis on friend. Jack is the local newspaper's editor. He enjoys a fun banter of a new friendship with Olivia but is looking for much more. Grace is Olivia's best friend. She is about to become a grandmother but in the midst of it all her 35 year old marriage seems to be over when her husband Dan disappears.

I am not going to go too much into details as I would  not want to spoil the book for others. It is a book for anyone who loves a series where you can be drawn in and feel like you are really in a small town watching the people there. I know this is now started as a series on Hallmark Channel. I do not get that here but knew that Andie MacDowell was set to play Olivia. What a perfect match with the character in the book. Who knows...maybe some channel in Holland or England will pick this series up...

Happy reading!
Heidi

5 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I loved that series...but you must read them in the right order, and it took me a while before I realised that the number of the house is the clue!

Lottie said...

This sounds like a good read! Thank you for your review!

Nancy said...

In the stores now, if you buy the paperbacks, the actress is on the front cover. I have read all of the Cove series and since I do not get the Hallmark channel, I hope they put the DVD's out to buy. I also love Debbie's Yarn shop series which you have I know. She is a wonderful author, you cannot go wrong. Happy reading, or listening.
Love you, Mom

Julie said...

I've only read one Debbie Macomber, it was called something completely different here in the Uk and was in fact the 3rd book in the series and I missed the first two... does make me cross when they give them different names! It was very enjoyable and a good read though.

Joni CHL said...

I loved, loved this book! :)