"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~ Charles W. Eliot
***
"This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" ~ Julia Child
***
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." ~ Louisa May Alcott

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Roasted chestnuts

It is autumn and time to gather things that give us the taste of the season...


We took a walk in the woods in the north of Holland and found chestnuts aplenty.


Luckily, I had a rain hat in the pocket of my coat. I turned it inside out and we filled it with our harvest. Be careful of the prickly shells while you get out the chestnuts.


Once home, I cut a cross into the side of the chestnut and put some in a 200C / 400F  oven to roast for about 15 minutes or until they pop open as shown in the photo. Be sure you do check on them as they can burn easily. Let them cool slightly and peel them. 


That evening I added them to our meal. Combine Brussel sprouts, potatoes, onion, bacon bits and chestnuts all tossed in a hot pan with olive oil for a truly autumn taste. 

Bon appitit or eet smakelijk!
Heidi

4 comments:

Nancy said...

hum, never heard of adding them to a meal. Just thought you just ate them.
I think I tried them in England and didn't like them that much. Just the thought of them is fun though.
Love you, Mom

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great recipe. I love sprouts. We like to make Chestnut stuffing. Linda

Annie said...

Yummy ! I like to pick up things when I wander : always better and more tasty than the same bought in a shop ! Thanks for your recipe !

Nan said...

I've never, ever had them and yet they are such a part of the Christmas season because of 'chestnuts roasting on an open fire.' You made a lovely meal of them.